An official visit of a delegation from the Kyiv Orthodox Theological Academy to the spiritual shrines of Greece.

Together with a delegation from the Kyiv Orthodox Theological Academy, she visited the Vatopedi Monastery (Greek: Βατοπέδι) on Mount Athos in Greece, the second in the hierarchy of Athos monasteries, one of the oldest and largest. It is located on the northeastern coast of the Ayon Oros peninsula, between the monasteries of Esphigmenou and Pantocrator.



The monastery was named Vatopedi because in 395, near the place where the monastery was later built, the young prince Arkady fell into the sea from a ship and was brought to shore unharmed by the miraculous intercession of the Mother of God. Here he was found standing under a bush. The name "vatopedi" ("bush of the young man") comes from this event.

The monastery in its present form was created around 972-985 by three rich and noble people: Athanasius, Nicholas, and Anthony. They took up monasticism and became disciples of St. Athanasius of Athos, who sent them to live in the place where Vatopedi Monastery now stands.



The main cathedral of the monastery was built in the 10th century and consecrated in honor of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, therefore the patronal feast of the monastery is March 25 according to the Julian calendar (April 7 according to the new style). In addition to the cathedral, the monastery also has sixteen chapels (small churches). On the Holy Mountain, the monastery owns two hermitages, they are dedicated to St. Demetrius of Thessalonica and the Apostle Andrew the First-Called in Karies and twenty-seven cells, and there is also a courtyard outside Mount Athos. In 1743-1759, the famous Athos Academy existed here.

In May 1992, the Illinsky hermitage moved to Vatopeda.

Pilgrims from Ukraine bowed to the shrines of the monastery: the Vatoped Monastery preserves the girdle of the Most Holy Theotokos, which the Immaculate Mother later gave to the Apostle Thomas during her Assumption. Many miracles came from the ark decorated with silver and encrusted with precious stones containing the relics of St. John Chrysostom. In the Annunciation church of the monastery there is a Vatoped icon of the Mother of God.

The library of the monastery is one of the richest on Mount Athos and contains approximately 2,000 manuscripts and over 35,000 printed books.



A delegation of the Kyiv Orthodox Theological Academy visited the Simonopetra Monastery (Greek: Μονή Σιμωνόπετρα) on the Holy Mount Athos, which occupies the thirteenth place in the hierarchy of the Holy Mountain. It is located on the southern coast of the Aion-Oros peninsula, between the harbor of Daphni and the monastery of Gregory, above a steep rock.



The Simonopetra Monastery was founded in 1257 by Saint Simon, who escaped here in a cave, and is still preserved in its original form.



Pilgrims bowed to a piece of the Life-Giving Tree of the Holy Cross, part of the left hand of Saint Mary Magdalene; part of the hand of Reverend Martyr Evdokia; part of the hand of the holy great martyr Barbara, the foot of the holy martyr Kirik; the head of St. Paul the Confessor and other shrines.



The delegation had a conversation with elder Tikhon.



Views: 136 | Added: Dmytriy | Rating: 5.0/1
Total comments: 0